To begin this blog, I want to start by sharing how God has consistently confirmed that He is purposeful, albeit sometimes surprising, in how He places children in our family. He also makes the seemingly impossible, possible. Let's start with Jaqueline and Ashley!
Did we intend to foster a teen mom? Nope
Did we have the space to foster a teen mom with her baby? Nope
Did God make it work? Yes!
When we were called about Jaqueline we were told that she was quiet and responsible. If anything, she needed some encouragement to socialize with friends rather than just stay in with her nine month old daughter, Ashley. Jaqueline's first and primary language was Spanish, which is why they called us despite our obvious lack of space and experience. That and the fact that we had baby toys made us the best possible match in a very limited number of options.
It just so happened that Lee and I had recently discussed taking a break in fostering because of his unstable job situation. We agreed that it would not be a good idea to have another little one because I might have to go back to work and financially it would be a strain.
I listened to the description of Jaqueline and her situation and laughed to myself. I was thinking, "Very funny, God...you are getting creative!" It was as though He was saying, "You may think that it is a good idea to stop fostering, but it is what I called you to do and so I will make it work."
I spoke with Lee, we prayed about it, and agreed to welcome Jaqueline into our home for a week or so. David moved into our room and Jaqueline slept on an air mattress next to Ashley's crib. It was a tight fit, but looking back...the close quarters made us feel that much more like a family.
Jaqueline was very quiet at first and was obviously more comfortable when Lee was home and she was able to speak Spanish. Eventually we found our own way of communicating. She understood most of my English and I understood most of her Spanish. We both put our children first and experienced great joy in watching Ashley crawl up one step or David dance to music.
The one week that Jaqueline and Ashley were initially supposed to stay turned into about three months and before Jaqueline left, God gave us the opportunity to bond in a much deeper way than just spending time together.
Jaqueline knocked on my bedroom door close to around 11:00pm. I heard Ashley crying and when I saw Jaqueline I knew that something serious had to be going on because she never handed her little girl over for help. She was in so much pain. I held Ashley and she quickly fell asleep. Lee came home late from work and as soon as he arrived, we left him with the kids and I took Jaqueline to the ER. About 7 hours later we learned that Jaqueline had appendicitis and would need emergency surgery.
I held her hand, hugged her, helped her to the bathroom, translated for her, made sure she was warm, and prayed with her. In Spanish, she thanked me for taking care of her like a mom.
We bonded and I know now why God needed to establish that bond between us.
I just found this note today that Jaqueline had written before she moved back to Mexico. She had translated it to English for me:
"I love too much and thanks for everything God wants us to be together again before I go to Mexico. You know I miss you. I think Ashley misses you so well."
I love how God's purpose is so much bigger than we could ever imagine. I am so thankful that He gives us little glimpses every now and then.
I will continue Jaqueline and Ashley's story in another post!
No comments:
Post a Comment