I'm ready to stop being so serious all the time and laugh a little more.
Just tonight I was given this great gift. A book entitled, "FUSSBUSTERS on the Go- Strategies and Games for Stress-Free Outings, Errands, and Vacations with Your Preschooler" by Carol Baicker-McKee, Ph.D. Is that perfect or what?? I started reading it tonight and am aiming to use the following two strategies while we are grocery shopping this week. We'll see how they work!
1) What's What? Have your child close his eyes. Pull an item off the shelf and let him examine it without looking and then guess what it is.
2) A Doaf of Dread Using silly language to ask your child to find an item. Other examples...a pox of pereal or a boonch of boo-noo-noos.
I am also re-watching some youtube videos on Therapeutic Parenting by Christine Moers. She is funny and gives quick, very practical tips for parents of children who have been traumatized, but in my opinion...they are great tips for any parent. Two strategies of hers that I would like to implement this week are:
1) As their voices escalate, my voice becomes quieter and my body more relaxed
2) When David complains that he can't do something that I know he can...praise him for something he has done and encourage him to complete the task at hand (e.g., "You were able to get dressed all by yourself this morning! I wonder how long it might take you to put your shoes on.")
So this week I am resolving to be silly with my boys. I am resolving to do something fun with them at least once a day.
Ready or not!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment