This morning I took David to an appointment with an immunologist because of his recurrent fevers. They tested him for environmental allergies. I don't know about you, but I'm usually pretty good when it comes to keeping it together for my child during difficult, but necessary medical procedures. This one was hard for me, though!
They numbered his back and he laughed because it tickled. Then came the pricks...close to 20. His poor little back was bleeding and I had to hold him as he screamed. It was horrible. I held it together, of course, and played it off like it was no big deal. He found it interesting that the doctors were doing an 'experiment' on his back and he was very proud that his prediction of his back being 'smooth' was correct.
Anyway, guess who is no longer allergic to milk? Yep! We have a small container of ice cream in the freezer to celebrate one of these days.
Ok...back to how I have traumatized my child. You are probably curious.
After their nap, I took the kids to Lab Corp for David to have blood work done. He chose to have it done today versus Friday, although in hindsight it would probably have been better to wait.
I prepared him...he practiced taking my blood...(A)'s blood, but when it was his turn for the real thing...he wasn't as calm. May I ask why they require the parents to hold their arms down? It was this that traumatized David. How do I know, you might be wondering...
I know because just now, as I went in to give David a kiss and turn him around in his bed... he opened his eyes, saw me, and started crying, "Noo nooo nooo. I don't want to take it off!!"
"Sweetheart, it is ok...it is mommy. What's wrong?" I asked.
He was obviously talking in his sleep as he answered, "The blood is still coming out!"
Is that horrible or what? I didn't think that I would be a mother who would traumatize her child...at least not this early on in his life! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment