My last post was about joy and humor, right? haha. I don't know if I had much joy today, but I can certainly find some humor upon reflection.
*WARNING: If you are upset by mention of bodily functions, please do not read.*
Yesterday went well, this morning wasn't horrible. In fact, our fun melt and freeze 'ice experiments' yesterday fit nicely with the icy weather we had today. I would even venture to say that I was thankful it took us 20 minutes or so to de-ice the car before heading over to the social security office since they were delayed opening by one hour. I was prepared and had brought snacks for the kids and so we enjoyed those while we waited in the car and watched the long line of people standing out in the cold.
We've all been there, right? Waiting in line with our kids? Doing our best to keep them from jumping on top of or bumping into the people in front of us? Then, inevitably...you get close to the front of the line and your child tells you loudly, "Mommy! I have to go to the potty." You whisper that they need to hold it because it is almost our turn. In my case, David responded just as loudly, "But my poop is about to come out!"
At this point I was debating what would be worse. Losing my place in a very long line or changing his poopy underwear. I took a chance and stayed in line. We made it to the toilet. With (A) screaming because he wanted to watch the 'movie' on the screen outside. Sorry kid, I'm not going to leave you sitting with strangers....
He continued screaming when we reached our seats to begin waiting and someone promptly announced over the loud speakers, "If your child is making too much noise, please stand between the walls." Where in the world was that? I looked around and thankfully (A) settled down because I had no clue what that woman meant and I was NOT taking the kids outside. Then our number was announced. I wasn't prepared for it to be that quick! It is like an auction and if you don't respond quick enough they move on to the next person. There I was...holding (A), gathering my things, trying to yell that my number had been called, and sweet David behind me reminding me about our jackets. He gathered his and (A)'s for me and we walked into a back room.
The gentleman who helped us was SO nice. Praise God because I probably would have broken down into tears if it was that nasty woman who had made the announcement. She came by and was quite rude again, telling me to move my coats and that I needed to keep my child out of the way (David was playing with his car on the floor). Usually, I am able to forgive quickly....realizing that she was probably having a bad day, but I wasn't as patient today and was thankful that the man helping us apologized for her.
Overall, the process was quick. In two weeks we will be getting David's new social security card with his last name on it:).
The boys were happy to play at home when we returned, they enjoyed lunch, then nap time came....
(A) pooped three times. Something is bothering that little guy's stomach because it is ridiculous how much he uses the restroom. I take him often because his poopy diapers often leave me gagging and I didn't feel like smelling poop all day long.
He pooped, but did he sleep? Nope.
I gave up when it was time to leave for David's doctor appointment. I was actually feeling optimistic about this doctor visit because on the way there, David decided to recite all of our rules.
"Mommy, I know our rules. Do you want me to tell you? One rule is no hitting. Another rule is no climbing on top of each other. And another rule is no kicking. And another rule is no jumping on the bed because we could get hurt. Mommy, I won't jump on my bed, ok? Um um and another rule is no going outside without mommy or daddy!"
Who knew he could recite our rules? (The photo above us 'just because' by the way...couldn't figure out where else to sneak it in). After our appointment I would say that it is all book knowledge because the application isn't quite there yet:).
Does anyone have any ideas for how to keep boys from screaming, running around, and misbehaving during doctor appointments? I am absolutely fine with managing them until a nurse or doctor needs my attention. We do books, coloring, singing, racing cars....they are FINE until someone else is in the room and it is embarrassing. Of course, an afternoon appointment on a day when they have had limited physical activity is just a recipe for disaster.
So tell me WHY I decided to take them to the grocery store after that appointment? Oh yeah, we needed milk and bread- the essentials. No choice, really.
This is when I was supposed to use those strategies I shared the other day, remember? Except I didn't. Totally forgot them. Haha. It was alright. David was enthusiastic about searching for the items so I will use those strategies when the searching gets old.
I did use that one strategy to help David get his shoes on, though, and it worked great! I told him, "David, you put your pants and shirt on all by yourself this morning! I wonder if you will be able to use your muscles to put your shoes on too." Sure enough...he put his shoes on quickly and with no complaining.
So by the time we came home and I made dinner, dealt with a screaming tantrum, got them ready for bed, cleaned the house, prepared for tomorrow....I decided that I was done. I am done.
For today.
No comments:
Post a Comment