Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Life is So Short

I find it so easy to get caught up in the day to day, "We need to do this and do that..." "We need to get this done NOW or else everything will fall apart..."

You know what I am talking about, right? Do you feel it too sometimes?

Do you know what helps to give me perspective? Death.

No, I don't mean to be morbid or depressing. Death is a fact of life...we don't live forever and we have no idea how we are going to die or when we are going die. We do, however, know that we will...at some point.

I don't know about you, but if I were to start off every day with the mentality that it is my last, I wouldn't get so upset about the messes......I wouldn't feel badly when people are disappointed in me...I wouldn't feel so angry when things don't go my way. I WOULD be  more patient with my boys in the morning...I MIGHT even laugh with the boys about gross bodily functions....I WOULD take the time to really play with them and listen to what they are trying to tell me...I WOULD want to be able to show God's love through me...I WOULD be more likely to forgive and let go....

Life is so short. God used Ashley to teach me that.




Lee is bringing A to Children's Hospital tomorrow. I was initially relieved that I didn't have to be there, but I now find myself wanting to go back. As I spoke with a nurse over the phone tonight, she described which entrance to take and what to do when they arrive. I can picture it so clearly....the parking structure, the elevators, the hallways, that Christmas tree, the Family Waiting Rooms....I can feel all of the feelings that go along with those places too.

I'm ok with it at this moment, though, because it reminds me that life is so much more than the 'do this and do that' and the 'get this done now.' Life is about how we love others...how God loves others through us because when we die, all that really matters is the LOVE that remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment