
This afternoon, I broke out a new white board, which was very exciting and for the first time, he drew a picture of a person! Well, at least it has two eyes, a nose, and a mouth- sort of :).
Interestingly enough, David drew these pictures after I explained to him that we would be watching over a one year old little boy for the weekend. I told him that he may be sad, but that we would all do our best to help him to feel safe and happy.
David: "This boy is sad."
Me: "Oh, why is that boy sad?"
David: "Because he's sad about his mommy."
Me: "Do you think you can help make him happy by drawing his mommy?"
David: "Oh yeah, sure!"
David: "This is his mommy and she's happy. He's running to his mommy. Now he's happy too."
For young children, drawing pictures is a form of pre-writing. I can't wait to see what else he comes up with as his drawings become more detailed and his stories become more involved.
My interest in art therapy is also peaked after this. In his own way, David was processing how this new little boy might feel and why he might feel that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment