Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

David: What does your shirt say mommy?

Me: 147 million orphans...

David: An orphan means a child who doesn't have any mommy and daddy, but that's ok because God takes care of them.

Me: Yes, God sure does, but He wants us to help take care of them by helping them find mommies and daddies.

David: (A) doesn't have a mommy or daddy.

Me: He sure does. Actually, he has two families just like you. You both have birth families and we are your family.

David: But you are my forever family.

Me: That's right, we are and we are (A)'s family right now too. (A) has his birth family and he has us. We will pray that God helps decide who his forever family is going to be. I know that we would love to be his forever family, if that's what God wants- right, David?

David: Yes!

This conversation took place with (A) there with us. He listened intently.

Me: (A), do you know what a forever family is?

(A): A child has no mommy or daddy.

Me: A forever family is a family that is yours forever and ever.

(A): Oh.

Me: Do you know that you have two families right now?

(A): I have mommy and (a)!

Me: Yes, mommy and (a) are your birth family [drew him a picture] and daddy, mommy, and David are your other family [drew a picture].

(A): pointed out who was who and commented on how they looked 

Me: A judge is going to decide who will be your forever family. Maybe mommy and (a) or maybe daddy, mommy, and David. We will pray that the judge makes the best decision.

(A): Look I have a fish in my water!

...and that was the end of our conversation

This is so good. The timing is right and I think the information is just enough for both boys. It also allows (A) to know that we would love for him to be a part of our forever family, but that we ultimately trust God with whatever happens. Thank you to my dear friend who encouraged me to talk with (A) about this!

(A) and I have had a lot of bonding time together with his surgery and other stuff- it has been good. I have two boys who absolutely love to hug and snuggle. How did I get so lucky? I am really one blessed mom.

We are looking into therapy for David...he is a sensitive little guy and we feel as though getting him set up and connected with a therapist before anything difficult happens (like a loss of a brother) is better than waiting until we see him struggling. We are just praying that we will find the right one and that we will find a way to afford it!

No comments:

Post a Comment