Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Above Amazing (Part 2)

Ok...back to Jaqueline and Frida. I know I never like waiting for details so thank you for being patient!

Jaqueline's labor was fast, but difficult. With Ashley she had an epidural, but with Frida she did not. Maybe it was because things happened quickly or maybe it was because the hospital just didn't want to give it to her, but either way it was very painful for a variety of reasons. Frida was delivered in a room filled with other women in labor and both mother and daughter were discharged quickly.

Jaqueline's mom arrived at the hotel in a taxi to pick us up. As we neared her home, the taxi swerved- not to pass cars, but to miss giant holes in the stone road. I did not mind one bit. I just wanted to see her and hug her. I could not believe this was actually happening. Almost two years ago I was watching as Jaqueline boarded a plane back to this home. I didn't think I would ever see her again.

We drove up a hill and stopped in front of a green corrugated steel gate that was also their front door. This is a picture taken from the top of the hill. Can you see her house?


We entered her home and were directed toward her room. In their culture, a mom and child are to be confined in a bedroom/house for 40 days. Jaqueline appeared so tired and sad. We embraced and I could not hold back the tears- so many emotions flooded me at that moment. Sweet Frida slept on her bed with one arm out as though she was welcoming us into her home.


She looked so much like Ashley when she was born. I knew that her mouth and chin were very much alike, but it wasn't until I came home and compared that the similarities took me aback. It must have been somewhat surreal for Jaqueline. Here is a picture of Ashley when she was born....


Above is a picture of me and Frida..what a special birthday gift she was! Below is a picture of Frida with her mommy from our first day. She is three days old here.


Jaqueline's mom, Francisca, shared with us that it had been a very long time since she had seen Jaqueline smile and that she was so thankful we were there. This was shocking to me because I had assumed she might feel as though we were imposing. Little did I know that she had become a Christian just three months before we arrived and had been praying for us to visit! Truly those prayers were answered and in very big, above amazing, ways.

More to come about our first full day....meeting members of their community and joining them on Thursday night for church!

No comments:

Post a Comment