Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Above Amazing (Part 1)

Ok...this may have to be done in parts, but I didn't want to delay too much longer before beginning to share about my journey south to Chiapas, Mexico. Where to begin?

Terri and I traveled together to Mexico. She is as white as me, but speaks fluent Spanish. She is the wife of the pastor who performed Ashley's funeral service and she intimately understands the impact of the loss of a child. I speak very little Spanish. Ok, I can probably pass as decent if a conversation consists of very basic phrases, but let's just say I relied a lot on Terri during this trip! We tried not to look like tourists, but that is pretty challenging when you physically 'look' like tourists!



It didn't matter...we were on our way because God was calling us. There were many potential roadblocks prior to this trip (illness for Terri and a trip to the ER for one of my little guys), but we soon find out that it was because God had something very BIG in store for us.

We were traveling to Chiapas because Jaqueline was expecting her second child- another daughter.

My Plans:
1) Be present when Jaqueline gave birth in order to support her through it
2) Connect her with people from a church who could provide her some emotional and physical support

God's Plans: ABOVE AMAZING
---------------------------------------------------------------

Our travels were smooth. We flew into Texas and then straight into Tuxtla Gutierrez, MX. The airport was small, but impressively clean and modern. It was in the evening when we arrived and it was raining. We secured a taxi and headed 45 minutes to our hotel. The roads were nicely paved and if the taxi driver had actually driven in the correct lane and not heading into traffic, it probably would have been a pleasant drive.

When we arrived at the hotel, our eyes widened and our mouths dropped open. We were staying in a resort! Who knew? We made it up to our room and soon began trying to reach Jaqueline. We called her home number- busy. We called it again- busy. We called the hospital - answering machine. I sent her an email and then we called her home again- busy. We finally gave up and went to sleep after praying for her and for our time there.

The next morning I was anxious to get the day started and to connect somehow to Jaqueline. I was worried about her. Would we have to drive to her house unannounced with the address she gave us? What if she wasn't there and instead was at the hospital? So many scenarios raced through my mind, but when I dialed her number- she answered!

It didn't sound like her. Just as a few nights ago...she sounded tired and sad. "How is the baby?" I asked. "Fine," she said. I assumed that meant nothing had happened yet so I handed the phone to Terri to work out travel details and to my great surprise...Jaqueline had already given birth to her daughter! When? On my birthday- September 20th! Frida had been welcomed into the world and we missed it, but it was on my birthday- I had mixed feelings about it:).

Ok, it is a school night and I have to make lunches for the boys tomorrow. The house is a mess (because of me), but I am slow to clean it because I'm trying to ease back into life here.  The boys have been surprisingly good for me. David has been a horror for his teachers, though. I am secretly relieved that I get the good behavior:). I've been giving both boys tons of hugs and kisses to make up from my time away. David told me tonight, "I just need a little love, mommy." Haha! Ok kid...you got it:). (A) has been incredibly sweet and calm, which is highly unusual for him. He is sick. Why do my boys have to be such angels when they are ill? Please pray that his breathing returns to normal and that we don't have to begin nebulizer treatments!

I'll write more and include more pictures tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment