Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Quiet Game & Sound of Music

Today is Day 3 of Lee's absence. We have 3 more to go! Here is how things usually work out when he is gone:

Day 1: Not too bad, everything is under control.
Day 2: Feeling great- being a single mom isn't so bad...
Day 3: I'm fine, but starting to feel a little worn out and slightly crazy.
Day 4: Officially crazy and ready for my husband to return.

You get the idea, right? I'm ok with 3 day trips. Anything longer and I'm not as happy about it.

Anyway, today we survived some more difficult moments by doing the following:

1) Quiet Game: Who can stay silent the longest?? This is great in the car and the kids love it. David is an expert, but (A)...not so much. Here is how things played out for us this morning...

David: Can we play the quiet game?
Me: Really? Ok..sure! Do you want to play too, (A)?
(A): Yes!
Me: Ok, ready....set....go!
(silence)
(one minute passes)
(A): "Mommy, I quiet, mommy!"
Me: "(A), you just spoke. Now David is the winner for that round."
(A): "NOO I not talking, mommy!"
Me: "(A), there are words coming out of your mouth. That means you are talking."
(A): "Nooo...I quiet. I want again."
Me: "You want to play again? Ok..."

(3 minutes of silence pass)

(A): [whispering] "Mommy, I quiet."

You get the idea. Notice that David was silent the whole time? Haha. Anyway, we played it at least three times and it didn't really get that much easier for (A). Being quiet is so hard for him that when he couldn't talk, he clapped his hands really loud and kicked his legs. 

2) The Sound of Music is one of my mom's favorite movies. We watched it growing up and since my mom has an amazing voice, it was pretty much like living with Julie Andrews as Maria. I remember feeling embarrassed when she would sing in public. Yeah, I do the same thing now except my voice is no where near as good as hers!

Ok...I digress...tonight The Sound of Music saved me. No, I didn't sit the kids down to watch it, but maybe I should? The boys are going through a very 'silly' stage. A stage where they like to make up nonsense words and sounds and make silly faces at each other to make the other one laugh. I don't have any problem with this except that it happens at less than ideal times- meals and bedtime. Tonight during dinner, they were starting and while I usually separate them (we have an adult and kid table), instead I started singing, "Doe a deer, a female deer...Ray a drop of golden SUUUUNNNN, Me a name...." you get the idea. I sang it and they watched me with interest. I sang it again and they smiled. Then I sang it again and they tried to sing it with me. We must have sung that song at least ten times until we were all smiles and their dinner was practically finished!

Thanks, mom:)

No comments:

Post a Comment