Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Must Reads

A post about our 'fifth and sixth blessings' along with some video clips of Jaqueline and Ashley is in the works. For some reason the videos will not download correctly and so I am giving up...for now:).

Do you enjoy reading? I do! It has been soooo nice to have free moments to actually sit down and read this summer. I tend to read books that are based on true stories and give me insight into adoption or foster care, but that's just me!

Anyway, if you have similar interests, I have two WONDERFUL books to recommend:


Castaway Kid b R.B. Mitchell
http://www.castawaykid.com/
~ The author was abandoned at an orphanage at 3 years of age and his story gave me incredible insight into how hope can be lost and hearts can be hardened in children who feel rejected and unloved. However, it also shares how love and hope can be renewed...and how some children are able to heal from the deep wounds of their past.


The Jonathon Letters
by Michael Trout an Lori Thomas
~ This book is essentially an email correspondence between a foster/adoptive mother who is parenting a child diagnosed with RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) and a clinician who works with adoptive and foster children who have experienced early disruption in their attachment. I loved how descriptive, honest, and loving this mother is in her written illustration of life with her son. It is also a story that gives hope for progress for children with attachment disorders.

There you have it...now I am on to my next book! If you have any recommendations, please send them my way:).

No comments:

Post a Comment