* There are over 20 children available for adoption, but a few of these children are currently matched with families
* What's the first step? Call to express interest 703-746-5858 and attend an informational session.
* How long does the process take? 3-6 months
* Are families required to foster first? Families are expected to be a resource to the agency by fostering first
----
Lee and I both had the desire to adopt before we even met each other. I had a vague interest in fostering, but in my mind, it was something I would do after our children (biological and adopted) were grown. If it was sooner, we would definitely have a nice big house with a yard and a lot of rooms...
My interest in fostering originated when I read the book, "Another Place at the Table" by Kathy Harrison. I think I read it in college, but Lee and I read it together again when we were first married. If you haven't read it- you should!
God began to place foster parenting on my heart and I prayed that if it was His will, Lee would feel led in the same direction. These are a few of the verses that God gave me to confirm that we should become foster parents (Isaiah 58:3-12) and I still re-read it to remind myself of His purpose:
"Remove the chains of oppression and the yoke of injustice and let the oppressed go free. Share your food with the hungry and open your home to the homeless poor. Give clothes to those who have nothing to wear, and do not refuse to help your own relatives."
"Then my favor will shine on you like the morning sun, and your wounds will be quickly healed. I will always be with you to save you; my presence will protect you on every side. When you pray, I will answer you. When you call to me, I will respond."
"If you put an end to oppression, to every gesture of contempt, and to every evil word; if you give food to the hungry and satisfy those who are in need, then the darkness around you will turn to the brightness of noon. And I will always guide you and satisfy you with good things. I will keep you strong and well. You will be like a garden that has plenty of water, like a spring of water that never goes dry. Your people will rebuild what has long been in ruins, building again on the old foundations. You will be known as the people who rebuilt the walls, who restored the ruined houses."
We didn't have grown kids. We were both under 30. We didn't have a big house with a nice backyard. We lived in a one bedroom apartment. To be honest, I thought we would have to wait at least another year or so until we could afford a bigger place. That wasn't the case! We attended an informational session and were informed that our small home would just limit the age of children we could foster to 2 years and under.
Yikes. Lee and I both had it in our minds that we would foster school age children. The idea of a baby was exciting, but scary at the same time. It took a little time, but Lee finally felt as though this was the ministry that God wanted to use us in and so on we went...home study, PRIDE training...and certification.
Our decision official, I informed my job that I would not be able to return the following year. I LOVED where I worked and so this was a difficult choice to make.
It is amazing how God provides when you are obedient to His calling.
I was able to continue to work part time leading the Parent Infant Program at my school and any little ones placed with us were allowed to attend!
September 20, 2007. This was actually my birthday AND the day we received the call for David. Soon after we were asked to take his older brother. 20 minutes after we said 'yes,' they were getting settled in our home. That was the beginning of our journey...


And THIS is why we continue to foster. We are so blessed by our children and their families. Blessed beyond measure. It isn't always easy, but it is ALWAYS worth it. To be a part of helping a child heal...to watch them flourish with love and stability....to be there to hold them when they face challenges. We wouldn't have it any other way.
No comments:
Post a Comment