Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Brothers Forever

The boys have off from school this week and today was beautiful. We spent time at the playground this afternoon and as I listened to their sweet voices discussing how many cicada shells each had collected while huddled under a tree (yeah, I'm a mom to boys...it doesn't phase me anymore), my mind went back to one year ago....

One year ago we were at the playground and I was again marveling at how much the boys enjoyed playing with each other. But one year ago the feeling was bittersweet because mixed in with the joy was the impending goodbye...the loss of a son...loss of a brother.

I re-read an old journal entry of mine in which I described the deep sadness of not being able to watch the boys grow up together. Lee and I often wondered how David would handle it.

So as I sat on the playground bench today, I was praising God for the incredible privilege I have one year later...to watch the bond between David and Anthony grow stronger and to have the security in knowing that it will be FOREVER.

Brothers Forever

This is a wonderful book given to the boys after Anthony's adoption. Sure, the kids are as white as can be, but as I read it to David and Anthony their faces lit up as they listened and realized that the characters were just like them. They like drinking hot cocoa together, they like playing baseball, they laugh at nothing together, they clean up their toys together, they argue sometimes, but always say "I'm sorry"....and best of all they are also brothers forever!

-------------------------

Note: I want to add that both David and Anthony have experienced the loss of a brother (one older and one younger) and I pray that God gives them both the ability to support each other as they grieve these losses. I am also praying that we are able to extend to them a sense of connection and expanded family as we schedule visits as much as possible! 





No comments:

Post a Comment