Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Advocating as a Foster Mom

Wouldn't you think that going through the county to request a speech and language evaluation for your foster child would be the same process as a biological or adopted child?

I did.

My mistake.

Why did I even mention that I was his foster mom? I should have just kept quiet. Ugh.

This is my experience typed out for you to read:

"Hi my name is ___, and I am calling to request a speech and language evaluation for my foster son, ____, who was recently diagnosed with a mild hearing loss."

(I answer questions...name...date of birth...reason for concern...etc. etc. She takes my address and explains that they will mail a packet of information and questions for me to fill out.)

"We are going to need his birth certificate."

"Umm, yes, I have a copy of that."

"We are going to need the original."

"Well, social services has the original, but aren't you just going to make a copy anyway?"

"Yes, but....I need to transfer you to the social worker. She isn't in this week, but you can leave a message."

"Why are you transferring me to the social worker?"

"Because ___ is in foster care and I am not sure how to proceed."

"Well, can you at least still send me the packet of information so that this doesn't slow things down?"

"I am going to transfer you to the social worker now. You can leave her a message."

"Yes, but..."

[Disconnected.]

ONE WEEK LATER:

I tried calling again (it isn't easy to find time to call during office hours since I work during those hours too....but since David was sick- I had a few minutes:).

"Hi my name is ____ I called last week in regards to ____ and you transferred me to the social worker, but I was disconnected."

"Oh yeah, we were just talking about that. Let me transfer you."

[Left message]

She did call back and we spoke. I explained everything again and she told me:

"Well, before we can move forward with anything we will need the social worker to give us a call and give us permission."

"Why is that?"

"Because our regulations state that only a birth parent or someone with legal custody can give permission for services."

Really? Wow. I mean....glad they are so cautious about this because I have had hospitals willing to let me sign for surgery (even though that is against the rules) and well....at least we know that I won't be causing any harm to my poor foster child by requesting that he receive speech and language services! 

(Don't worry- I didn't say this...only thought it!)

Now I have to be responsible for getting (A)'s social worker to take time out of her busy schedule to call this social worker to provide who knows what that will take who knows how long....

Anyway, I'll keep you posted...perhaps something will come of this? Thanks for letting me vent:).

No comments:

Post a Comment