Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

It All Makes Sense!

The amount of repetition he needs...

The slow language acquisition...

The numerous speech errors...

When (A) first came to us, the audiologist at the amazing school where I work (The River School) screened his hearing and he failed. Further testing revealed the potential for a moderate to severe hearing loss.

His pediatrician didn't believe it...nor did she think it was that big of a deal and wasn't all that supportive of surgery to deal with the fluid. 

We took him to an ENT and scheduled surgery to have tubes placed in both ears.

Now, having fluid in your ears usually doesn't cause that much of a hearing loss and so it was recommended that we have him re-tested after his surgery.

We remembered, but no one else did. We had to ask the ENT at our follow-up appointment. We waited an additional hour to see the audiologist. At that point it was (A)'s nap time and he wasn't the most compliant during testing. She tested his hearing at two of the higher frequencies (4000 & 8000 Hz) and told us to come back in 6 months.

Well, we didn't feel like waiting for the entire 6 months. for the reasons listed above. So our kind audiologist offered to put him in her schedule. She saw him today and....guess what?

(A) does indeed have a mild hearing loss for all frequencies in BOTH ears! We are so thankful for all the time she spent with him making sure that the results were accurate. We'll probably have him tested again soon just to verify the mild loss and then we may get him fitted for hearing aids depending on those results.

Anyway, today was just another reminder that God is purposeful in who he places in our family. I pray that we can best support and advocate for (A) in these upcoming months.

Oh, and here are some pictures of David...wish I could post some of (A) as well, but that is against the rules SO here is at least one handsome little dude for you to look at...lucky for you I didn't take any pictures of him during his five very impressive tantrums today! Did I mention that I need prayers for patience? Yeah, that would be nice if you get the chance:).




1 comment: