Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

School at Home

Next school year, Anthony and I will begin a new journey together.

We are going to do First Grade at home. I'll be his teacher, he'll be my student and with God's help....we will both help each other grow a tremendous amount.

I told Lee the other day that when God leads me to do something that I once said I could absolutely never ever not in a million years do...it is likely HIS will and not mine:).

It certainly isn't going to be easy, but with each day I am feeling more excited and ready for it.

I'm thankful to have good friends helping to guide me in these early planning stages.

So far I have:

* ordered a first grade curriculum from...

www.sonlight.com

* written a letter of intent to school at home (but have not yet mailed it out)...

http://heav.org/basic-info/notice-of-intent/

* connected by email with someone in charge of a homeschool group near us.

-----------------------------

I am taking everything in slowly...not wanting to get too overwhelmed and risk scaring myself out of this plan:).

At the same time, though, I am thinking logistics and asking myself questions like:

"How is this going to work in our small space? It would be so nice to have a designated room, but that isn't a possibility so how will it look for us?" 

We'll likely use the bedroom, living room, and dining room. 

"What type of volunteer opportunities can we do together that will encourage him to use his strengths (interacting with others) with his interests?"  

Maybe an animal shelter or nursing home.

"Would it be worthwhile to get him involved and focused on a specific sport?" 

He is a fast sprinter so maybe track?

"What in the world am I going to do when we are both sick of each other and need a break??"

This is going to be an important one to address - hope to figure out something!

------------------------

 We welcome and appreciate any prayers and advice as we move forward with this.

Before I sign off, here is a picture of a calendar I bought from Lakeshore Learning Store today (how cool is it that they had a robot calendar to match the boys' paintings??) and work area we set up in the boys' bedroom:



No comments:

Post a Comment