Pages

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Home for Christmas & My Christmas Gift

We usually travel for Christmas. Some years we travel to California...some years we travel to New York.

This year, however, we are home for Christmas. Celebrating...just the four of us.

It isn't the first time we have had Christmas at our home. I realized this yesterday as I was looking through old photos...my family came down here to celebrate in December 2009. I spent most of my time at the hospital with Ashley so to be honest, it didn't really feel like Christmas....for any of us. 

Anyway, this year Lee and I had the responsibility of coming up with our own family traditions. We didn't plan ahead...we kind of winged it to be honest, but it was wonderful.

We attended a children's service at our church at 4pm. We all dressed up and before heading out the door, attempted to take a few family photos.

Our first attempt was unsuccessful:



This one wasn't bad:



When we returned home, Lee and I decided to go for it...'Santa' would come on Christmas Eve night. Now, for the record...I know that the mystery of Santa is something special for kids, but it is really hard for me to knowingly play into something that isn't real. My sister will tell you how horrible it was when I ruined the mystery for her when we were kids.  I don't really ever remember believing, although, I still enjoyed 'pretending' to believe.

Anyway, we focus on the fact that Christmas is Jesus' birthday, but still decided to move forward with 'Santa' for tonight.

It was hysterical and SO much fun! Anthony had previously expressed concern about not having a chimney and so I bought a large 'Magic Key' from the dollar store. It read, "Dear Santa, we don't have a chimney so please use this key."

While the boys were putting on their pajamas, we told them to stay in their room because Santa might be on his way. I quietly put out some presents and their stockings and Lee played an excellent Santa...coming in for a quick bite of the cookies and dropping off the presents.

The boys were thrilled. After opening their gifts from family and from us, we drank hot cocoa.. ate some cookies we had baked the day before...

 
and watched a video clip of little children telling the story of Jesus' life. We prayed together as a family and then snuggled them into bed. 

There we go. Now it is documented on this blog so that I won't forget what a special time we had this year!

Now, are you curious about my Christmas gift?

Lee and I don't buy each other gifts each year...we really aren't big gift givers. Or at least, I'm not...Lee is a little better than me:).

My gift this year was better than anything anyone could ever buy me.

On Sunday night, I got to spend 4 hours with sweet Baby C!! About two of those hours were spent with him sleeping in my arms:).


Do I look like I was in heaven? Because I was. Lee, David, and Anthony were also thrilled.

We are so grateful for all of the blessings in our lives and pray that our boys never lose their sense of joy and wonder during Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment