Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Gifts as Reminders

I have been whining lately. Whining about not wanting to say goodbye to the baby. 

Then God helped me take a step back...reminded me WHY he called us to be foster parents. It certainly wasn't just to do something fun and easy that would make us happy:).

There is a much bigger purpose and while I certainly need to be able to process all of the emotions that go along with loss, I don't want my selfishness to cause me to miss out on all of the incredible blessings we have been given through the trials.

Today God gave me two gifts. I want to write them down because I will need to look back on them over the upcoming months.

1) Conversation with David in the car:

"Mommy, do you remember when the baby first came to church with us and people prayed that God would take care of him and keep him safe and do what is best for him? Last night, after daddy said goodnight, I prayed for Baby C. I prayed that he would feel safe with his grandma and grandpa and that he would grow up to be a good man who cares about other people and is nice and knows Jesus." 

What a gift it was to be able to see how God is shaping the heart of my oldest through this experience.

2) Baby C's Song:

Last night, I chose a song for the baby. For every child who joins our foster family, we designate a song just for them so that whenever we listen to it, we think of them. We try to play it often while they are here and then send it along with them in case one day they might listen and think of us. Baby C is probably too small for that, of course, but he still gets a song. 

This is the song we chose for Baby C. The words are perfect:

My Wish by Rascal Flatts

BUT his reaction when I played it for him....PRICELESS. I was holding him and rocking him to sleep as it played. His eyes were closed and he was snuggled into me. All of the sudden, he looks up into my eyes and breaks out into the biggest smile! Then he starts to giggle a little. What a gift that was. Every time I listen to that song, I will think of his sweet smiling face.


---------

So those were my gifts today. They lifted my spirit and were an incredible reminder of how much God cares for each and every one of us...no matter what we are going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment