Friday, on our drive home, David called for my attention, "Mommy?"
I answered him...expecting a question about a car or a truck, but instead I got:
"Happy Mother's Day!"
Precious.
God has taught me a lot about motherhood over these past (almost) three years. It actually might be more accurate to say that He's taught me more about Himself through motherhood. I've learned that...
1) God is faithful to help us love his children as our own.
2) There is no shame in using earplugs when necessary:).
3) The bond that is formed between mother and child extends beyond biology.
4) Changing dirty diapers never gets easier or more enjoyable.
5) God heals through laughter and our children have blessed us with an abundance of love and laughter.
6) Our children are God's children first.
Oh, there is so much more, but what has been on my mind lately is how God gives us this ability to connect with the children He has placed in our lives, hearts, and home. I wasn't aware of how powerful this was until Z left our home. Here's how I learned...
* It had been about a month or so since she returned home and I woke up one morning after having a very vivid dream. We were on a large boat and Z was with her grandmother reaching out to me, calling my name as I sailed away (not sure how since we were on the same boat, but hey- it was a dream). She was crying and calling my name and then I returned with Lee and David to join her and her grandmother.
A few days later, her grandmother called me up. Z had been calling out my name at least two to three times a day and she wanted to know if we could get together.
* It wasn't a dream, but more of a feeling that something was wrong and I began to worry about Z. This probably lasted about two days.
Her grandmother called me and asked if I might be able to pick her up and bring her to the doctor because she was sick.
There you have it...she is not my biological daughter, but we are connected in a way that only God could have orchestrated. A part of me will always be her mom.
Thank you, God, for all that you have taught me about your love through my own mother, through the children you have blessed me with, and through their birth mothers. I pray for my niece and her amazing mom...I can't wait to see what you have in store for them!
No comments:
Post a Comment