Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Slowing Down & Saying "Yes"

Sometimes it is just easier to say 'no.' If I am tired or in a rush....my boys are pretty good at accepting 'no' and so it is easier for me to just stick with that.

Sometimes it is just easier to let the boys play together on their own. They have fun together and get along quite well so it is just easier for me to let them be. 

We've been learning about the importance of connecting with our children.  Connection happens through laughter, fun, and actually playing together.  One suggestion we were given was to say 'yes' more often than 'no' - when safe, of course!

"Can I pick those dandelions mommy?" asks Anthony as we are walking to store. I would normally tell him that he could wait until we were home, but it was just us so why not, right? YES.

"Can I have a piece of gum please, mommy?" inquires David when we get home from school. He had seen me take out a piece for myself. I would normally tell him to wait until after dinner (since we consider gum a treat), but he had already eaten a healthy snack and I hear that chewing helps kids concentrate on their homework so why not, right? YES.

"Can you tickle me please?" begs Anthony. I might normally resist this for fear it might overstimulate him, but he's learning regulation strategies and it will be a good opportunity to practice, right? YES.

"Can we pop the bubble wrap please?" David pleads. I would normally tell him we have to wait until the following day because we are finishing up dinner and winding down for the night. Instead, we line it up and all four of us (daddy included) jump on the bubble wrap and enjoy the laughter. YES.

Saying 'yes' takes up more time than saying 'no,' but it has been nice to slow down and take advantage of moments to connect with my boys.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Terri, anything I do right is truly by God's grace. I miss you! Do you have any time to catch up one of these days?

    ReplyDelete